We made our own bamboo cane fishing poles

We started with a couple of really long dried pieces of bamboo and cut them to size. Then we trimmed off the extra branches as close as we could. (Sawzall recommended.)

Next, we soaked them overnight in the pond because they were really, really dry.

Next, we varnished them. I had some cherry stain left over. I also had cherry stain all over.....me.

Now to let them dry.

We tied on the string.

We secured the line with electrical tape every foot or so then wrapped it a few times around the end of the pole. That way you have a little "give" at the tip.

We added an eye hook at the base for a way to "hook" the hook. We rigged her up with hook and sinker.

Now it's time for some fishing!!!

Our bait of choice is Pup-Peroni. The fish love it and it's easy to keep. To be honest the first catch was a turtle. The pole just doesn't have enough "give". It's very sluggish and hard to feel the fish. But since I am an expert at tight line fishing, I did manage to pull out a nice tilapia. 

If we do this again I will choose a much thinner and greener piece of wood. 
Interesting project anyway.

See more of My BackYard here! http://debwegner.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment