Irma's Construction

After the destruction comes the re-construction. 

There's  a lot of work to do, alot of clean up. We need some power!


I was very excited to see these guys show up on the third day. I thought, "Wow, we're going to get electric back in no time!" But no, these are the tree trimming guys. They made a run through clearing the street and getting the big big trees out of the way for when the electric guys do come through. 


It wasn't until day 10 that I spooted the most lovely thing in the world. Yes, the electric guys are my road!

They had been working non-stop for over two weeks away from home but still pu their all into it.
We have a pole on the back of the property that's never been hooked but they insisted on getting the line back up... out of the water. I suggested that they float out dock over to the wire. This was hilarious. I love these guys. 


One of them had to take my kayak over a fence and paddle the wire back to get it hooked up. Above and beyond!

Later that night the lights came on! And then went off again! And then came on again, YES! We were finally able to sleep without the constant blaring of that generator. What a relief.



It took 2 more days before Mike could get the pumps relocated, dug in, hooked up and rewired. Hot showers and working toilets are luxuries indeed.


Now for some construction. These are the poles from that Carolina carport that flew in as a donation. Can you imagind the wind that twisted these up?


So we separated out the stuff good enough to reuse and....


Wallah! We have a new lean-to!


This was our biggest expense and it arrived within a week. My brand spanking new shed/shop. 


But first we needed totear the old one out. Mike got a broken saw blade right between the eyes.
Yikes!


But he's back at it building my shelves. The wood is from the floor of the water pump shed.


Oh my! Lets fill it up with stuff!


The fishing corner.


My work bench. 
I can't tell you how much I love this shop. it has everything I need and more. This is the kind of shop that inspires crafts as you'll in this post!



Eventually Mike got jealous of my new craft shop and started woking on his own. He built himself this rolling lilghted bench. The wood is reused or salvaged, the light was a steal at the junk store and the base is a heavy duty roller that was given to us. 
And look closely on that bench. It's a Craftsman belt sander we took out of the trash and it works!


He had enough wood for some shelves, too.


He cleaned the walls, repainted the floor and it looks brand new again!

All of these things were something we had on our long list of replacing or improving and thanks to Irma we got it!



No comments:

Post a Comment